Traditions are not static. They evolve and change too. The importance of creating new holiday traditions after a death in the family serves a dual purpose. By focusing on doing something new you recover from the feelings of loss. You are also trying to keep the memories of the departed alive. Here are some ideas to create holiday traditions:
1. Include a Special Dish – Can one ever delink food from holiday festivities? Then why not introduce a recipe for a festival dish that your loved one took pride in or relished? While you partake of the food, stories of your loved one will be repeated with fondness.
2. Stitching A Photo-Quilt – Set a new tradition of getting photo prints of your loved one on cloth stitching together a couple of quilts during the holiday season. You will create a permanent memory quilt and an heirloom.
3. Invite a Friend – Your loved one’s friends are a treasure house of memories. Inviting a friend every year to join your holiday dinner and listening to memories will give you a feeling of peace.
4. Candles and Memories – Invite family members and friends over to dinner, light candles and share memories about the dear departed soul. You can light the last candle and share a memory about the loved one.
5. Start Something New – Start something that you have not tried before during the holidays. This will help you move away from the acute feeling of a loss. It could be joining a walkathon, visiting a home for the aged, gifting to those in need, etc.
Always keep setting new traditions and your sense of loss of a loved one will take new meaning. Have you started new family or holiday traditions in memory of a loved one? Share in the comments below.
If you have queries about the cremation process or need to arrange a cremation, feel free to contact us at Simply Cremations and Funeral Services today and we will provide you all the assistance you need.